GEW’s ExciRay lamp systems utilise dielectric barrier discharge (DBD) lamps to produce quasi-monochromatic vacuum ultraviolet radiation, typically at 172nm. This radiation is commonly used for mattification of surface coatings, modification of surface tension for improved adhesion or surface cleaning for semiconductor and medical industries.
GEW ExciRay lamps, which are incorporated into the familiar NUVA2 cassette design, can be produced up to 255cm in length and can be custom integrated for your specific application, including provision for all required nitrogen inerting and control.
They are also seamlessly integrated into the wider GEW UV system which may be required for gelling or final cure so that GEW can provide a turnkey mattification solution for your process. Our experienced engineers also ensure rigorous adherence to international safety standards.
ExciRay Mattification Process
Mattification of coatings for various applications, including decorative laminates for:
- Flooring and furniture, PVC flooring, wood panels, plastic parts, etc.:
- Gelling: Partially cures the coating, increasing its viscosity to resist subsequent ExciRay microfolding. Changing gelling power can modify coating texture, 85° gloss level and soft touch properties. Typically not inerted.
- Mattification: 172nm radiation from the ExciRay lamp fully cures the top layer of coating and shrinkage causes microfolding, which results in a matt surface. This process must be inerted.
- Final cure: A powerful mercury or LED lamp cures the coating all the way through. This can optionally be inerted depending on application requirements.
To find out more about the mattification process using Excimer lamps, read Jennifer Heathcote’s “Mattifying Surfaces with Excimer UV Curing” article.
Benefits of ExciRay
- Deep matt down to 1.2 gloss units @60 deg
- Soft touch finishes
- No matting agents for increased coating durability and process simplification
- On/off instantaneous matting
- Fully integrated into pre-gelling and final cure UV system
- Familiar cassette design for easy lamp change and maintenance
- Integrated into GEW’s standard Rhino power and control platform
|Max electrical power||5W / cm|
|Max irradiance at focal point||65mW / cm²|
|Standard cross section||145mm W x 425mm H|
|Standard max operating temperature||40°C (104°F)|
|Standard max humidity||Non-condensing|
Typical ExciRay integration
Each integration of ExciRay is fully customised to meet the individual needs of our customer. GEW’s range of products can be used in unison to cover the full process, from pre-gelling, to mattification, through to the final cure.
- Pre-gelling: 395nm LeoLED
- Mattification: 172nm ExciRay
- Final cure: Mercury lamp NUVA2
- Height adjustment control panel
- Fully automated nitrogen control cabinets
- Inert chamber with adjustable nitrogen injectors
- Safety light curtains
Custom Conveyor Lab Units
ExciRay can be incorporated into a GEW Custom Conveyor Lab Unit for quality control and R&D applications.
Any combination of GEW lamp, LED and Excimer are available with or without nitrogen inerting.
Lab Units are available in multiple widths and speed ranges.
Speak directly to a sales representative
These products use excimer (or exciplex) dielectric barrier discharge (DBD) lamps as the UV light source. Primarily used to produce vacuum ultraviolet (VUV) radiation, GEW can supply many variations and widths to suit a wide range of applications.
To find out more about ExciRay, contact us now on one of the options below.
International Sales Manager
Email David directly
Vice President, Business Development
Email Jennifer directly
Director, International Sales
Email Marcus directly